Timeline

1913

Opening of the first shop in Toronto by founder Frank P. O’Connor.

1920-1930

Expansion to Winnipeg. Pharmacies began carrying Laura Secord products.

1940-1950

The number of stores in Ontario and Quebec grew to 96. Laura Secord was now firmly established as a family tradition and was renowned for its high-quality products and customer service. The company launched new packaging, updated its cameo logo, improved merchandising techniques, and increased production capacity.

1960

Expansion continued. By 1969, there were Laura Secord shops from coast to coast, and sales exceeded $20 million. Ault Foods Limited (John Labatt Limited) of London, Ontario, purchased Laura Secord. The original Laura Secord homestead in Queenston, Ontario, was purchased and converted into a tourist attraction commemorating Laura Secord’s courage and dedication.

1970

Ice cream was launched in selected stores and retail outlets. The Toronto and Kitchener production plants were closed, with production transferred to Scarborough, Ontario.

1980

In 1983, Rowntree MacIntosh Corporation, based in England, purchased Laura Secord from John Labatt Limited. As a result of the Rowntree Group’s chocolate-making expertise, productivity and profitability increased. In 1988, Nestlé S.A. purchased the Rowntree Corporation, thereby acquiring Laura Secord.

1990

In 1999, Archibald Candy Corporation of Chicago purchased Laura Secord from Nestlé. As a result, Laura Secord joined a large family of specialty retail banners in North America that included Fannie May, Fanny Farmer, and Sweet Factory.

2004

Archibald sold Laura Secord to private equity investment groups in the United States, Gordon Brothers Group, LLC and EG Capital Group, as well as Fonds de solidarité FTQ, based in Montreal.

2010

Quebec City businessmen Jean and Jacques Leclerc purchased Laura Secord from the American investment groups and Fonds de solidarité FTQ. Today, the company operates over 120 stores across Canada.

Timeline